The D90 fuses technology from Nikon’s flagship digital SLRs with an array of sophisticated functions to help you achieve superior results. Its 12.3 megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor and EXPEED image processing system offer outstanding image quality across a wide ISO light sensitivity range. Live View mode lets you compose and shoot via the high-resolution 3-inch LCD monitor, and an advanced Scene Recognition System and autofocus performance help capture images with astounding accuracy. Movies can be shot in Motion JPEG format using the innovative D-Movie function. The camera’s large image sensor ensures exceptional movie image quality and you can create dramatic effects by shooting with a wide range of interchangeable NIKKOR lenses, from wide-angle to macro to fisheye, or by adjusting the lens aperture and experimenting with depth-of-field. The D90 – designed to fuel your passion for photography..
12.3 megapixel DX format CMOS image sensor lets you capture outstandingly detailed images and produce stunningly sharp enlargements. Built-in self-cleaning sensor unit minimizes the effect of dust.
EXPEED image processing system for optimum performance and maximum image quality.
High ISO (200-3200) light sensitivity, extendable up to ISO 6400 (equivalent) and down to ISO 100 (equivalent). Enables faster shutter speeds, significantly reducing the risk of blurred images when you shoot fast-moving subjects or take pictures in low light.
Active D-Lighting retains details in highlights and shadows for stunning images with natural contrast. It can be activated manually or automatically and features four levels, including Extra High.
Picture Controls let you customize the look and mood of your images. Choose from six settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Monochrome, Portrait and Landscape.
Scene Recognition System with Face Detection System combines data from the camera’s metering and AF sensors to deliver precise exposures and sharply-defined images, and recognizes human faces for portraits or group shots with natural-looking skin tones.
Advanced autofocus performance with versatile Multi-CAM100 11-point AF system offers fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame. AF-area modes handle most shooting situations and include 3D-tracking AF, which lets you adjust the composition of an image after focusing on your subject.
Live View mode with Autofocus makes it easy to compose images using the LCD monitor. Three AF modes are supported: Face priority AF for portraits (detects up to 5 faces in a frame), Wide area AF for handheld shots and Normal area AF for shots with a tripod.
Innovative D-Movie function lets you shoot Motion JPEG format movies*. The camera’s large image sensor (compared to that of a typical consumer camcorder) and high ISO sensitivity offer exceptional image quality. Bring photographic techniques to movie making using the wide range of NIKKOR interchangeable lenses, from fisheye to wide-angle to super-telephoto, and even extreme close-up with Micro NIKKOR lenses.
3-inch, 920k-dot, high-resolution LCD monitor with 170-degree viewing angle makes it easy to use the Live View function.
Advanced Scene Modes automatically optimize camera settings, including Picture Controls and active D-Lighting, for popular photographic styles, effects and locations. Choose from Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports or Night Portrait.
Bright pentaprism viewfinder with 96% frame coverage and 19.5mm eye point for precise composition.
Quick response: with approximately 0.15-second start-up time, 65-millisecond shutter release time lag and 4.5 frames per second**.
Extensive Retouch Menu offering a range of photo effects, including Fisheye, Distortion Control and Straighten. The original image stays intact and the camera quickly and simply creates a duplicate image for you to edit and enhance in the camera.
Extensive playback functions including Pictmotion built-in slideshow, a 72-frame thumbnail display, calendar playback and a histogram display that offers histograms of magnified sections of an image.
Single-lens reflex digital camera
Nikon F mount (with AF coupling and AF contacts)
Approx. 1.5x lens focal length (Nikon DX format)
23.6 x 15.8 mm CMOS sensor - Supports high ISO sensitivities - High-speed data readout - Nikon DX-format sized CMOS sensor - Power-saving design
Image Sensor Cleaning, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX 2 software required)
Long exp. NR
Photographs taken at shutter speeds slower than 8 s are processed to reduce noise. As the time required to process images to reduce noise after capture is roughly the same as shooting time (shutter speed), the time required until images are completely recorded increases accordingly.
High ISO NR
Photographs taken at ISO sensitivities of ISO 800 and higher are processed to reduce noise. “High”, “Normal” (default), “Low”, “Off” At ISO sensitivities of Hi 0.3 and higher, a level of noise reduction lower than that achieved with a setting of "Low" is selected.
Image size (pixels)
- 4,288 x 2,848 (L) - 3,216 x 2,136 (M) - 2,144 x 1,424 (S)
Storage file formats
- NEF (compressed RAW) - JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1 : 4), normal (approx. 1 : 8), or basic (approx. 1 : 16) compression - NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
SD (Secure Digital) memory cards, SDHC-compliant; Eye-Fi memory cards (requires confirmation)
A/D conversion bit count
Image write rate
Approx. 14 MB/s under the following conditions: - Recording medium: 1 GB Panasonic Pro HIGH SPEED SD memory card - Image quality: JPEG normal - Image size: Large
Picture Control System
Can be selected from Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Landscape, Portrait; storage for up to nine custom Picture Controls
DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0 DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) Exif 2.21 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras) PictBridge
Up to 36 alphanumeric characters can be input using the camera monitor and multi selector (contained in Exif header)
Eye-level pentaprism single-lens reflex viewfinder - Advanced focusing screen display built in This feature is capable of displaying superimposed on-demand grid lines over the viewfinder display, and is convenient for composing shots. - "Vari-Brite" focus area display built in The color used to highlight the active focus area (focus brackets) in the viewfinder display changes automatically in response to lighting conditions.
Approx. 96% horizontal and 96% vertical
Approx. 0.94x (50mm f/1.4 lens at infinity, –1.0 m-1)
19.5 mm (–1.0 m-1)
Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark II screen with focus frame (framing grid can be displayed)
When depth-of-field preview button is pressed, lens aperture is stopped down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or by camera (other modes)
Instant return, electronically controlled
- DX AF Nikkor: All functions supported - Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported (PC Micro-Nikkor does not support some functions). IX Nikkor lenses not supported. - Other AF Nikkor: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II. Lenses for F3AF not supported. - AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II - Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function. Electronic rangefinder can be used if lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.
Electronically controlled, vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
1/4000–30 s in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, Bulb, Time (optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 required)
Flash sync speed
X=1/200 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 s or slower
Release time lag
Approx. 65 ms
Single frame, continuous low speed, continuous high speed, self timer, delayed remote, quick response remote (optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 required for remote shooting)
Frame advance rate
Continuous low speed: 1–4 fps.Continuous high speed: Up to 4.5 fps
Can be selected from 2, 5, 10, and 20 s duration
Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 (optional), Remote Cord MC-DC2 (optional)
TTL exposure metering using 420-pixel RGB sensor
- Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses) - Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 6, 8, or 10 mm circle in center of frame - Spot: Meters 3.5 mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point
Metering range (ISO 100, f/1.4 lens, 20 °C/68 °F)
- Matrix or center-weighted metering: 0–20 EV - Spot metering: 2–20 EV
Exposure meter coupling
Auto modes (auto, auto (flash off)); Advanced Scene Modes (portrait, landscape, close-up, sports, night portrait); programmed auto with flexible program (P); shutter-priority auto (S); aperture-priority auto (A); manual (M)
−5–+5 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
2 or 3 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1, or 2 EV
2 or 3 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1, or 2 EV
White balance bracketing
2 or 3 frames in steps of 1, 2, or 3 EV
2 frames (one with ADL, one without)
Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
ISO 200–3200 in steps of 1/3 EV. Can also be set to approx. 0.3, 0.7, or 1 EV (ISO 100 equivalent) below ISO 200 or to approx. 0.3, 0.7, or 1 EV (ISO 6400 equivalent) above ISO 3200.
Can be selected from Auto, Extra high, High, Normal, Low, or Off
Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus module with TTL phase detection, 11 focus points (including one cross-type sensor), and AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 0.5–3 m/1 ft. 8 in.–9 ft. 10 in.)
−1–+19 EV (ISO 100, at 20°C/68°F)
- Autofocus: Single-servo AF (AF-S); continuous-servo AF (AF-C), predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status (AF-A) - Manual (M): Electronic range finding supported
Single-point, dynamic-area, auto-area, 3D tracking (11 points)
Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
- Guide Number: Approx. 17/56, 18/59 with manual flash (ISO 200, m/ft, 20°C/68°F) - Approx. 12/39, 13/43 with manual flash (ISO 100, m/ft, 20°C/68°F) - Auto, portrait, close-up, night portrait: Auto flash with auto pop-up - P, S, A, M: Manual pop-up with button release
- TTL: i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR using 420-pixel RGB sensor are available with built-in flash and SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, or SB-400 - Auto aperture: Available with SB-900, SB-800 and CPU lens - Non-TTL auto: Supported flash units include SB-900, SB-800, SB-28, SB-27, and SB-22s - Range-priority manual: Available with SB-900 and SB-800
Angle of coverage
Sufficient to illuminate the picture angle of an 18mm lens Picture edges may be slightly dark depending upon conditions, such as the lens used and the aperture setting.
Auto, portrait, close-up - Auto and auto with red-eye reduction available with built-in flash - Fill-flash and red-eye reduction available with optional flash units Night portrait - Auto slow sync and auto slow sync with red-eye reduction available with built-in flash - Slow sync and slow sync with red-eye reduction available with optional flash units Landscape, sports - Fill-flash and red-eye reduction available with optional flash units P, A - Fill-flash, rear-curtain with slow sync, auto slow sync, slow sync with red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction S, M - Fill-flash, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction - Front-curtain sync, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction
−3–+1 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
Lights when built-in flash or optional flash unit such as SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-80DX, SB-28DX, or SB-50DX is fully charged; blinks for 3 s after flash is fired at full output in i-TTL or auto aperture modes
Standard ISO 518 hot-shoe contact with safety lock
Nikon Creative Lighting System
- Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with built-in flash, SB-900, SB-800, or SU-800 as commander and SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, or SB-R200 as remotes - Auto FP High-Speed Sync and modeling illumination supported with all CLS-compatible flash units except SB-400; Flash Color Information Communication and FV lock supported with all CLS-compatible flash units
Auto (TTL white-balance with main image sensor and 420-pixel RGB sensor); 12 manual modes with fine-tuning; color temperature setting; preset white balance; white balance bracketing
Live view - AF-area mode
Face priority, wide area, normal area
Live view - autofocus
Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face priority is selected)
Movie - Exposure
Determined with matrix metering utilizing output from the image sensor
Movie - file format
Movie - frame size (pixels) and frame rate
640 x 424; 24 fps 320 x 216; 24 fps 1280 x 720; 24 fps
Movie - video compression
Movie - audio recording format
Monaural on/off selection
- Determined with matrix metering utilizing output from the image sensor - Exposure lock available - Exposure compensation available in P, S, A, M modes
3-in., approx. 920k-dot (VGA), low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with 170° viewing angle, approx. 100% frame coverage, and brightness adjustment
- Full-frame playback - Movie playback - Thumbnail (4, 9, or 72 images or calendar) playback - Playback zoom (image size L up to approx. 27x, M up to approx. 20x, S up to approx. 13x) When one or more faces (up to 10) were detected with shooting, the faces are enclosed in white borders. When playback zoom is applied, different faces can be displayed by rotating the sub-command dial. - Slide show playback - Pictmotion - Histogram display - Highlights display - Auto image rotation - Image comment (up to 36 characters)
D-Lighting, red-eye correction, trim, monochrome, filter effects, color balance, small picture, image overlay, NEF (RAW) processing, quick retouch, straighten, distortion control, fisheye
Hi-Speed USB; PTP transfer protocol USB hubs not supported
USB transfer rate
Approx. 12 MB/s Test conditions - Windows Vista or Windows XP using standard USB driver - 512 MB Panasonic Pro HIGH SPEED (data recorded until filled to capacity) - Image size: Large - Image quality: JPEG normal However, actual data transfer time varies with the following conditions: - Computer performance - Number of images - Image size - Image quality
Can be selected from NTSC and PAL; images can be displayed on external device while camera monitor is on
Version 1.3a with type C HDMI connector; camera monitor turns off when HDMI cable is connected
- Remote cord: MC-DC2 (available separately) - GPS unit: GP-1 (available separately)
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e (supplied)
Number of shots (battery capacity)
- CIPA standard 1 One EN-EL3e battery (camera): Approx. 850 shots One EN-EL3e battery (MB-D80): Approx. 850 shots Two EN-EL3e batteries (MB-D80): Approx. 1700 shots Six AA batteries (MB-D80): Approx. 600 shots - Nikon standard 2 One EN-EL3e battery (camera): Approx. 4200 shots One EN-EL3e battery (MB-D80): Approx. 4200 shots Two EN-EL3e batteries (MB-D80): Approx. 8400 shots Six AA batteries (MB-D80): Approx. 1900 shots 1 Measured at 23°C/73.4°F (±2°C/3.6°F) with an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens under the following test conditions: lens cycled from infinity to minimum range and one photograph taken at default settings once every 30 s; after photograph is taken, monitor is turned on for 4 s; tester waits for exposure meters to turn off after monitor is turned off; flash fired at full power once every other shot. Live View not used. 2 Measured at 20°C/68°F with an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens under the following test conditions: release mode set to continuous high speed, autofocus mode set to AF-C, image quality set to JPEG basic, image size set to M (medium), white balance set to A, ISO sensitivity set to ISO 200, shutter speed 1/250 s, focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times after exposure meters have been on for 3 s; six shots are then taken in succession and monitor turned on for 4 s and then turned off; cycle repeated once exposure meters have turned off. ※ The actual number of shots possible will vary depending upon battery charge and operating environment. The number of shots possible when AA batteries are used may be less than that indicated here, depending upon the brand and manner in which the batteries have been stored. Use of some brands of AA batteries may not be possible. The following can reduce battery life: - Using the monitor (e.g. in Live View mode) - Keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway - Repeated autofocus operations - Taking NEF (RAW) photographs - Slow shutter speeds - Using VR (vibration reduction) mode with VR lenses
EH-5a or EH-5 AC adapter (available separately)
Approx. 0.15 s
1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 132 x 103 x 77 mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in.)
Approx. 620 g (1 lb. 6 oz.) without battery, memory card, body cap, or monitor cover
The body is made of a combination of aluminum alloy and plastic.
Shutter units are durable up to approx. 100,000 cycles.
Operating environment - temperature
0–40°C (+32–104 °F)
Operating environment - humidity
Less than 85% (no condensation)
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e - Quick Charger MH-18a - Audio/Video Cable EG-D2 - USB Cable UC-E4 - Rubber Eyecup DK-21 - Camera Strap AN-DC1 - Body cap - Eyepiece Cap DK-5 - Accessory shoe cover BS-1 - LCD Monitor Cover BM-10 - Software Suite CD (ViewNX, Nikon Transfer, Apple QuickTime)
- Remote Cord MC-DC2 - GPS Unit GP-1 - Photofinishing software Capture NX 2 (upgrade to latest version before using) - AC Adapter EH-5/EH-5a - Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D80 - Magnifying Eyepiece DK-21M - Eyepiece Correction Lens DK-20C - Eyepiece Magnifier DG-2 - Eyepiece Adapter DK-22 - Right-Angle Viewing Attachment DR-6 - Semi-soft Case CF-D80 - Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 - Sync Terminal Adapter AS-15 - Camera Control Pro 2 (upgrade to latest version before using)
Approved SD memory cards
The following SD memory cards have been tested and approved for use in this camera. All cards of the designated make and capacity can be used, regardless of speed. - SanDisk : 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB(1), 4 GB(2), 8 GB(2) - Toshiba : 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB(1), 4 GB(2), 8 GB(2), 16 GB(2), 32 GB(2) - Panasonic : 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB(1), 4 GB(2), 8 GB(2), 16 GB(2), 32 GB(2) - Lexar Media : 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB(1), 4 GB(2) - Lexar Media Platinum II: 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB(1), 4 GB(2) - Lexar Media Professional: 1 GB, 2 GB(1), 4 GB(2) (1) If the memory card will be used with a card reader or other device, the device must support 2 GB SD memory cards. (2) SDHC-compliant. If the memory card will be used with a card reader or other device, be sure that the device supports SDHC. For more details on the above cards, please contact the manufacturer. Other cards have not been tested.
The D90 16-85 VR lens kit includes the D90 camera body and the